If you have never made almond bread it is a wonderful thing to make at Christmas time. It is very simple and goes a LONG way. I have made double the mixture this time and this amount made enough for five gift boxes (see below). My Aunty has been asking me to make her almond bread for Christmas since July!
Here is the recipe:
Red Cherry Almond Bread
3 egg whites
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 sml packet of glazed cherries
1. Turn on oven at 180C, lightly grease 8x4 inch loaf tin.
2. Beat egg whites until stiff.
3. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat until stiff meringue consistancy.
4. Fold in sifted flour, then add almonds and cherrys - stir in cherries gently.
5. Put mixture into loaf tin and bake for about 30mins until lightly browned. Leave to cool in tin.
6. Take out of tin, wrap in foil and put in fridge for 1-2 days.
7. Cut loaf into wafer thin slices (an Electric knife is great or a serrated knife) and place on a tray in a slow oven until dryed out ( but not brown). I set mine at about 125C and they take about 35mins.
8. Hide them from the kids if you plan on giving them away for Christmas.
This is a great job for the kids.
These are now ready to go into my hand made Christmas boxes. These boxes are simple origami and they are SO versatile depending on the paper you use. I make these boxes all year round to put pressies in.